Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Never So Close to Terracotta Warriors Before

Great Wall and Terracotta Warriors are perhaps the two most renowned tourist attractions in China. I had been to the Great Wall in Beijing last century, but for the Terracotta Warriors, I had only seen them on TV programmes.
Last month, I got the opportunity to see the real Terracotta Warriors by myself. Our plane landed on the Xianyang Airport, Xian. Immediately, I could feel the air is full of history. Besides, the landform of Xian also appeals to me. I live in mountainous areas, but in Xian, I can’t see even a single hill from every direction!

I am not only interested in the Terracotta Warriors in Xian, but also the fields. Xian and its nearby areas have been prosperous since the first feudal dynasty of China, Qin Dynasty (2000 years ago). If I can dig something out from the field in Xian, it might be an ancient relic with a history of over thousands of years. That was how the Terracotta Warriors were discovered!

Unfortunately, the lovely local people didn’t allow me to dig their fields. So I was on my way to the Terracotta Warriors Museum. The Terracotta Warriors were the Qin Shihuang’s funeral objects. He wanted to continue his rule even after his death, so he made these warriors. Qin Shihuang was a war maniac. I can see this from his warriors’ expressions and actions. They are divided into several squads. Every squad has its own captain and different kinds of soldiers. Every soldier is serious and disciplined. That was why Qin Shihuang’s army could defeat other 6 countries to unite China.
Disciplined Soldiers


It is a pity that the Terracotta Warriors were more or less broken because of the wars and oxidization, and that they are being exhibited in the pit about 4 meters deep. I can’t see them clearly. I understand. If everyone can touch the warriors, they would have been destroyed completely…

Out of the museum, I saw some imitations of the Terracotta Warriors. They are perhaps the best presents for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment