Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Cruise to Gulangyu Island

I cruised to Gulangyu Island last month. Actually I went there by plane and boat, but my thought was cruising! Lots of my friends told me the Gulangyu Island in Xiamen is one the most attractive islands in China. It is near the land of Xiamen, so I can either stay on the island or go back to Xiamen to pass the night. I stayed on the island, even though the hotels on the island are three times more expensive than the hotels with the same star rank on the land. I believe the night is the best time to understand the local culture of a place.
My plane arrived in Xiamen Gaoqi Airport on time. I took a taxi to the port. About half of my colleagues have ever been to Xiamen, so it was impossible for the driver to charge me more than reasonable taxi fare. Fortunately, I arrived at the port at 17:15. That means I can see the sunset on the island. It is not unusual to see a plane delay in China because of lots of reasons they won’t let passengers know… I jumped onto my boat. My actual journey starts now.

The boat will go around the island before send us to the island. On our way to the island, we can see the Jinmen Island, which is under the control of Taiwan. Although the government of China does not acknowledge that Taiwan is a country, actually it is. It is the first time I see a sea. The sea is blue, endless, in a word, it is unbelievably beautiful.
Jinmen Island


We finally land on the island. It is the time for sunset. The sun is falling down slowly as if the sea is going to eat it. The sunshine of a falling sun is the most fascinating. It is gentle and won’t make my eyes hard to open. Nightlife begins. The most famous food on the island is jerky, but not some kind of seafood. I bought eight bags of different jerky for only 100 RMB. I think the jerky can support me for three days. The nightlife on the island is not so different from the land. I think the only difference is the wind from the sea.
I do not like bars, so I chose to lie on my bed to appreciate the moon. It is light, big, round… and I wake up. Today is beach time. I do not do anything except enjoy the sunshine on the beach. Sometimes, I swim in the sea. The sea water is not so beautiful as it looks like. I can feel it is biting my skin every minute. In my city, people go to the Li River to swim. The water is clean and cool, and makes me feel much more comfortable than the sea water.
Jerky jerky!


I do not go to any attraction which need entrance ticket on the island. I will do it when my husband travels with me next time… He pays everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment